Re: PostScript without PS printers

Stan Brown wrote:

>         I would be interested in knowing what it atkes to get this working. I
>         am fixing to buy a small HP color printer, and I currently use a
>         postcript printer only.
>
>         Thanks.
>
> --
> Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com

Stan & Marty:gs-aladdin

I now have my printer (Canon BJC-4100) working under Debian.  It was
really easy; only one tricky part.

First install Aladdin gs package.  It's in non-free and called
gs-aladdin.  Then, install APSFilter.  It's in the text section and is
called apsfilter.  After APSFilter is unpacked, an interative setup
program will prompt you for specifics like what kind of printer you have
and what serial/parallel port to use.  The available devices are (from
gs -h):
   x11 x11mono x11alpha x11cmyk lvga256 vgalib ap3250 appledmp bj10e
bj200
   bjc600 bjc800 cdeskjet cdjcolor cdjmono cdj500 cdj550 cp50 declj250
   deskjet djet500 djet500c dnj650c epson eps9mid eps9high epsonc ibmpro
   imagen iwhi iwlo iwlq jetp3852 laserjet lbp8 lips3 lj250 ljet2p ljet3
   ljet3d ljet4 lj4dith ljetplus lp2563 m8510 necp6 oce9050 paintjet pj
   pjetxl pjxl pjxl300 r4081 sj48 st800 stcolor t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8
   tek4696 dfaxhigh dfaxlow faxg3 miff24 faxg32d faxg4 tiffcrle tiffg3
   tiffg32d tiffg4 tiff12nc tiff24nc tifflzw tiffpack bit bitrgb bitcmyk
   bmpmono bmp16 bmp256 bmp16m cgmmono cgm8 cgm24 cif mgrmono mgrgray2
   mgrgray4 mgrgray8 mgr4 mgr8 pcxmono pcxgray pcx16 pcx256 pcx24b pbm
   pbmraw pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw pnm pnmraw ppm ppmraw psmono sgirgb
   pngmono pnggray png16 png256 png16m pdfwrite nullpage

The tricky part is that these are the devices supported by gs.  Not all
of these will be offered as choices by APSFilter.  For example, I used
bjc600 even though that printer type was not offered as a choice during
APSFilter configuration dialogue.  I just typed it in anyway and it
works.

I obviously can't say how other printers will work since I only own one
printer, but the package seems flexible and is a breeze to set up.  BTW,
printing is not exactly fast since ALL files including plain ascii will
now be converted to PostScript before being fed to the printer via gs.
As an added benefit other non-ascii, non-PostScript files are
automatically converted and printed too!  The file types handled is
determined by the availability of conversion utilities detected by
APSFilter during configuration.

One more hint, if you don't know which IO port to tell APSFilter to use,
try:

    insmod lp
    cat /proc/ioports

Good Luck!