Re: Please, let us end the misery.

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

[snip]
> I propose that a Debian-list Do's-And-Don'ts be constructed and
> sent to everyone when they first sign on the list. Sort of like
> netiquette but more towards help with common problems we see here.
> There should be something like "before you send a post to the
> list, make sure you gather all relevant information regarding
> your problem, e.g. configuration files, error logs, command lines.

ok, of course your right but (grin there is always a but isn't it?)
the problem for many I think (certainly for me) is to gather just that
relevant info. If you're a new user you don't know your way around yet so
you don't know where to find logs, config files, yes even command lines
(last one if it's run through script's you don't find)

so if people state their problem and you think (or know) there is not
enough info to help them, tell them where and how to find the info you'd
need. It'll help every newbie when you do so!

certainly don't start getting sarcastic, remember when you first started
messing around with a new system (and not only linux!)

> In particular check the man page (i.e. type 'man program-name')
> to find out if the program you're having trouble with produces
> (or can produce debugging information and where what file it goes
> to" and so on, and so on. It will probably need a short ditty on
> how syslog works. And of course, it should mention that people
> should check the bug list. BTW, where is the freakin' bug list?

ciao,
Geert "Esger" Raes                                    tel.: (+32) 820 26 66
Centrum Medische Genetica                             fax.: (+32) 820 25 66
Universiteit Antwerpen UIA                       E-Mail: Esger@uia.ua.ac.be
Universiteitsplein 1                 WWW: http://bioc-www.uia.ac.be/u/esger
2610 Wilrijk
E-music on the Net :               http://bioc-www.uia.ac.be/u/esger/emusic