Re: Withdrawl of fee for producing Debian CDs

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Tim Sailer wrote:

> In your email to me, Dale Scheetz, you wrote:
> [clip]
> >
> > In any case, whether we call it contributions or payments, the bottom line
> > is, we need a place to send money for the project. The ability to do this
> > is a pre-depends on any other scheme for financing the project. Doesn't
> > the project have enough legal status to open a checking account? What do
> > we need to do to get to that point?
>
> In most states, you have to file for at least a DBA, and be able to
> take that to the bank to open a commercial account. THe only problem
> with that is the suck more out of a commercial account than a personal
> one.. And who is going to document where the money goes? I personally
> don't care abotu the details, but *someone* is going to demand an
> accounting someday. I think Bruce has enough to do right now..

I agree both that someone will need to perform this task, and that Bruce
should not be encombered with such responsibilities, he does more than
enough already.
Sounds like one of the early responsibilities for the BOD will be to
appoint/adopt a Treasurer for the organization.
Rather than a DBA I was hoping that someone might know how their local LUG
or other clubs deal with the issue of "money management".
We will obviously need some volunteer effort to make this happen, so get
your excuses all lined up ;-) but let us know what the alternatives are.

> > P.S. Just another point. If we had a place to deposit money, any future
> > montary problems could be solved by "small" donations from the developers.
> > I'd certainly send in $10 to help finance the project through any tough
> > times. If the rest of the group feels as I do this would yield $1600
> > dollars in one fell swoop. This wouldn't get very many people to trade
> > shows, but it would provide funds for advertising and other promotional
> > material.
>
> I'd gladly personally send $10-$20 now, and have our fledgling ISP
> send in $50-100, because we're running Debian..

Good to know that others are willing to contribute. We need to understand
what our "necessary" budget is like before we just "throw" money at the
problem. And, of course, we first need a place to sent our monetary
contributions.

Luck,

Dwarf