Please, let us end the misery.

[*** Attention, this is not a flame, but merely a test of my
     patience. If this would a real flame, you wouldn't get
     the warning.                                            ***]

Can someone tell me what's wrong with the following message?

Lu Jimmy Chenji wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can someone tell me what's wrong with my following script?
>
> diald /dev/ttyS0 speed 115200 connect 'chat -f /etc/diald/pppchat' \
>     -m ppp local 123.73.253.175 remote 123.73.252.131 \
>     defaultroute modem crtscts dynamic
>
> pppchat is a script file which just init. modem and dial the modem.
>
> I have a folloeing pppd script which is very similar to my diald script
> but works fine.
>
> pppd /dev/ttyS0 connect 'chat -f /etc/diald/pppchat' \
>      crtscts modem defaultroute noipdefault
>
> Welcome for any comments.

Does
anybody ever call up an auto shop and say "My car won't start.
I turned the key and it didn't start." and expect an answer? I
don't know how many people I see every day coming here posting
questions with little or no information. Howe in the **** are we
supposed to know what's wrong with something if we can't see the
error messages?

I propose that a Debian-list Do's-And-Don'ts be constructed and
sent to everyone when they first sign on the list. Sort of like
netiquette but more towards help with common problems we see here.
There should be something like "before you send a post to the
list, make sure you gather all relevant information regarding
your problem, e.g. configuration files, error logs, command lines.
In particular check the man page (i.e. type 'man program-name')
to find out if the program you're having trouble with produces
(or can produce debugging information and where what file it goes
to" and so on, and so on. It will probably need a short ditty on
how syslog works. And of course, it should mention that people
should check the bug list. BTW, where is the freakin' bug list?

I would also propose that this document be posted on a <insert
your suggested time period here> basis if it doesn't end up being
really huge. In essence, I see this document being a set of
instructions on how to diagnose problems. I know this is a daunting
task. (Kind of like writing instructions on how to make a peanut
butter and jelly sandwich when you're target audience is Martians
who don't eat but rather absorb nutrients through their feet.)
It's still worth it and it would decrease the traffic on this list.

My 0.02 (and more!)

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com