Re: Need help about diald & dselect:

At 10:13 AM 1/19/97 -0500, Shaya Potter wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Lu Jimmy Chenji wrote:
>
>> 2)I am trying to use dselect's FTP method without any success.  I strted
>>   pppd first.  The program and my modem seem working properly.  I checked
>>   /var/log/ppp.log file and the message was like this:
>>         pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
>>         serila connection established.
>>         Using interface ppp0
>>         connect: ppp0 <---> /dev/ttyS0
>>         local IP address 202.73.253.153
>>         remote IP address 202.73.252.131
>>   I think above message looks OK.  Then I started "dselect" access method
>>   "FTP".  When dselect was loaded, I got a message "hostname: Host name
>>   lookup failure".  Does this mean anything?  I just ignored this message
>>   and filled in information for fip site, passive, and username etc then
>>   hit return.  I got the following messages:
>>   Connecting to ftp.debian.org....
>>   NET::FTP: Bad hostname 'ftp.debian.org' at /usr/lib/perl5/Net/FTP.pm
line 405
>>   FTP ERROR
>
>Just wondering, did you set up your /etc/resolb.conf file for the DNS
>server of your ISP.  That should solve your problems.
##################
        I had the same problem when I installed 1.2 clean.  It tells you in
the install to separate your nameservers with a comma, but you MUST NOT do
this or it will generate a broken /etc/resolv.conf  Go into your
/etc/resolve.conf and make sure you have nameserver entries like:

nameserver 1.2.3.4
nameserver 5.6.7.8 (should you have more than one nameserver they need to be
on separate lines like this)

the install program with commas actually generates:

nameserver 1.2.3.4,5.6.7.8
*argh* this caused me all sorts of trouble when I installed :(

Regards,

Kendrick