Kernel doesn't have PPP support, What does this mean?

The message isn't necessarily word for word, but that was the
essence of it.  Maybe something like "this kernel lacks ppp support."

Running Debian 1.1.10 from iConnect CD.  Installed and built
linux 2.0.21 kernel with ppp supported as a module, did insmod
and got the message, so I recompiled with ppp in the kernel, and
got the same message.

My pppd setup seemed to dial and connect to mindspring.com OK, but
then it issued the lack of support message.

Ah, yes, I did reboot from floppy each time... 8^)
And used make zdisk to generate the floppy and yes
the build number did increment.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim.