slang and xterm

I have encountered the following problem since moving to Debian (1.2),
and I must admit I cannot find the solution. It appears
that some binaries compiled with slang (jed and most in any event) will
not load in an xterm
(nor for that matter in an rxvt, itself an slang binary!): the reply is
always:
"terminal not powerful enough for slang". Never saw that before. Is it a
matter of updating the Slang lib? They work fine on a tty, xjed works
fine as well. Any clue?

Alain.

nadeau@cybernetic.ch