lp1 out of paper

I know my printer is out of paper. Its also out of electricity, being
that it's in a cupboard in the basement. Still, the above message is
sent to /var/log/messages every 10 seconds, day in day out. I've
recompiled my kernel (2.0.27) specifically disabling printer support,
but that message is still spewed out every ten seconds. I cannot for the
life of me find where that call is made. Could a kind soul tell me how
to disable printer support for good (I do my printout stuff on the nice
Laserjet at the office...).

Thanks in advance,

Alain.

nadeau@cybernetic.ch