Re: Cron scripts error

    Luis> Hi, after reinstalling the system recently, I have been
    Luis> receving this message from cron everytime it runs:

[snip]

    Luis> Looking at the offending script, it seems that it has
    Luis> problems while issuing

    Luis> su nobody

    Luis> If I do this by hand, it complains that it can't run
    Luis> /dev/null which is the default shell for nobody. What is
    Luis> going on? How can I repair this? Any hints or pointers would
    Luis> be welcome!

Sorry for the "me-too" message.  I have a similar problem.  It is not
critical, though, so I have been biding my time to see if anybody
else's system exhibits similar behavior.

My cron.daily scripts are set to run at 6:42 a.m.

I often leave myself logged in overnight in X, and every morning when
I look at xconsole, the last message on it is from 6:42 a.m. and says
something to the effect of "su (to nobody)".  When I log myself out,
xconsole recovers and all the messages from after 6:42 a.m. suddenly
appear.

Closer examination reveals the following line in /etc/cron.daily/find:

  su nobody -c "cd / && updatedb" 2>/dev/null

Interestingly enough, my 'locate' database doesn't seem to get updated
automatically and I have to run 'updatedb' manually every once in
awhile.

I assume this is a known problem.  Other than doing a wholesale
upgrade of all my packages, is there a "Debian-correct" way to fix
this problem?

--
Nathan L. Cutler
Linux Enthusiast