Re: Best Debian CD?

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I have avoided doing this on my CDs for technical reasons. I have been
> concerned that a label might interfere with the proper spinning of the CD.
> My blank CD supplier has a device he claims will properly center the label
> to avoid these problems, so, if it will sell more CDs, or present a more
> professional face, I would be happy to begin using pre-printed labels. My
> other concern is that the label might come loose and gum up the drive. It
> would be more reliable if I could find some mylar labels.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Dwarf

I actually didn't mean this to be taekn so seriously, but since
it has, I'll explain.  My boss is _not_ stupid at all!  He's
actually one of the most competent computer scientists I've ever
worked for.  He is, however, quite professional and doesn't take
linux seriously at the moment.  He humors me in my interest in it
though.  I showed him the Caldera package and he was impressed.
I really want to replace a machine running caldera here with
Debian, but I need to work out a couple of things.  I need to be
able to provide printing services to a MAC platform (1) and I
need to be able to provide cross platform file services (2).  The
second item is a no brainer, but the first is giving me some
problems.

Anyway, I understand the technical concerns with CDR's (thanks to
Bruce's very detailed post on the subject).  But, I also know
that as a musician, I can present an album's worth of music to
any cheapo CD maker on virtually any media and in 3 weeks time
have a batch of CDs pressed with full color inserts/packaging,
etc. and a printed face.  It usually costs about $1200US for 500
of these but prices go down with volume.  If I'm willing to pay
$30US for a single CD, it seems that there ought to be a way to
get something presentable.  I'll check with a guy I used for
music stuff and see what he says, but I have an idea he'll say
that it can't be done with CDRs.  I know that one place takes a
DAT tape and makes a "glass" master which is used to blow out the
volume order ($2000US for 1000 CDs).  This may be impracticle for
Debian which changes frequently.  Of course, once we're at a
"stable" stable release ;-), it should be OK to pump a few out.

Thanks for all the feedback, but I really didn't mean to ruffle
any feathers.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan