Re: purged package base while update to Debian 1.2.2

    Rick> If I remember correctly, I just went into
    Rick> /var/lib/dpkg/status and set the status line for them to
    Rick> "purge". I think I did the same with the old "base" package,
    Rick> so it looks like this:

    Rick>    Package: base
    Rick>    Essential: yes

    Rick> I didn't notice any problems, and it cleaned up the dselect
    Rick> sections. I didn't manually delete any files that had
    Rick> anything to do with "base".

I did the same thing to get rid of an old kernel-source package that
wouldn't go away.  It kept telling me Danger, Package in a Severe
Unstable State, and that I needed to reinstall it to be able to get
rid of it, but since dpkg considers each new kernel-source package a
completely new and different package, and the kernel-source-2.0.0
package was no longer on ftp.debian.org, I had to do the above manual
editing process to get rid of the messages.

--
Nathan L. Cutler
Linux Enthusiast