Re: Backspace, Delete in xterm

> less does not do backspace and delete correct, when having the
> variable TERM=xterm set.
>
> While using the search command backspace sends delete and delete sends
> ESC[3~. With TERM=linux it's ok.
> Backspace and delete are doing the right thing in the command line.

Actually, backspace is not doing the right thing on the command line.
It's just that both bash and tcsh will accept either the BS or DEL
character as a "rubout" command.  Ftp, because it uses the GNU
"readline" library will also work.

The problem is that the tty is set to have the DEL code (^?) as rubout
and xterm in X3.2 sends BS (^H).  In X3.1, the xterm sent the DEL code.

I really dislike the new code.  It makes my network difficult to use.
Previously, I could log into any box on our network (Debian & Solaris)
and have it behave correctly.  Now, if I try to run anything from an
xterm or a rlogin/telnet session that doesn't have intelligent readline,
I can't backspace.

Please, PLEASE, correct this!  Either set all the ttys to use BS (^H)
as the rubout character or fix xterm to send DEL (^?) when the backspace
key is pressed.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )