Compiling the kernel - hiccups, and output

I've just been compiling the kernel, mainly because of my problem with
probing a depca card. I compiled it using the kernel-source-2.0.27 package
and had the following minor problems and queries:

1) What exactly is the substantial output of the "make zImage" step.
Because "INSTALL_PATH=/home/david/avance" in the Makefile placed no files
in this directory (is this a bug?), I'm not certain exactly what to take
home to my target machine from my Pentium at work. Is it just zImage?

2) I'm guessing that System.map may also be part of the substantial
output, but I didn't take this home yesterday. Will the version in
kernel-image-2.0.27 do? I think that that installs it in /boot.

3) /boot seems to have various images and system maps perhaps inherited
from installation floppies. Are they important? Some of them have .deb
extensions, e.g. {System.map,vmlinuz}-2.0.18_6_i386.deb on this Pentium,
but mc says they're not deb packages. What's /boot/psdatabase-2.0.27
(which is only on my Pentium) - I can't find it within
/var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list.

4) I built modules today for both a depca card and a 3c509 card for yet
another target machine. Both were compiled correctly into .../drivers/net
but there's no link from .../modules/net for the 509, and no mention of
the 3c509.o in .../modules/NET_MODULES, only depca.o.

5) The kernel HOWTO only tells you how to install modules using "make
module_install" which you obviously can't do when the target machine is
different. I just copied pre-existing structure in /lib/modules/2.0.27
which worked for the modules I happen to need. But I haven't come across
any documentation of this. Why, for example, does NET_MISC_MODULES
sometimes live with the other XXX_MODULES at the top, but sometimes it's
in the misc subdirectory?

6) NET_MISC_MODULES contains "ipv4.o" because of something I compiled,
but there's no link in .../modules/net and no sign of it in .../drivers.
However, it's in .../net/ipv4 with a lot of other new object files. Do I
need to move it to the target or not. If I were to say "make
install_modules", I guess I'd find the answer by just seeing what moved,
but I'd also corrupt my system, as this Pentium is still running 2.0.18.

Sorry for the length. I'm impressed by the simplicity of building the
kernel (and everything else) on debian. I didn't even dare install gcc on
my slackware box a year or so ago!

David.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes
MK7 6AA, U.K.     Tel: +44 1908 653 739     Fax: +44 1908 655 151