Re: How do access hda, fd0, etc. ?

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997 woodja@juno.com wrote:

> In Debian linux, I have certian files that I down-loaded via. a terminal
> emulator in dos, and it is on my dos partition, which is hda.  How do I
> access this drive and my flopply drive fd0 in linux?

Well, your dos partition is probably hda1 (assuming you once booted off of
it). You can get to it several ways. You can add an entry in fstab that
will automatically mount the partition at boot time. Or you can manually
mount the partition using the mount command, something like:

mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt

Where /mnt is a mount point (directory) on you root partition.

At this point you can cd to /mnt and any subdirectories there and copy,
edit, otherwise mangle the files you find there.

Replace /dev/hda1 with /dev/fd0 and you will mount a dos floppy in stead.

Read the man page for mount for a more general discussion (like what other
-t options are available)

> Also how to I get back to the program that ran initially[first boot off
> the boot-floppy that was created], which asked what packages [ie.
> x-windows, comm programs etc] I wanted to install.  I have since
> downloaded some of these packages and have searched everywere for that
> nice colorful installation program on linux.

I believe you mean dselect.

Luck,

Dwarf