Re: Tecras and Debian 1.2

Concerning the Tecra bzImage boot patch, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> What does this fix exactly? I have a server machine located at my
> service provider, which requires a keyboard; without one, it
> says "Loading Linux..............." then waits forever until a keyboard
> is connected. Will this fix this?

Nope, I don't think so.  The Tecra problem is one of cache coherency
when the A20 is first enabled, and it causes the machine to reboot
after "Loading Linux...............", returning you to "boot:".  The
kernel patch simply flushes the cache.  More details can be found at:
  http://www.cck.uni-kl.de/misc/tecra710/
and a temporary replacement rescue disk can be found at:
  http://www.math.virginia.edu/~kdh5j/debian/tecra730
The next set of boot disks will contain this kernel patch.

I think that your concern is a common one.  Perhaps other list members
will be able to help.

Kirk Hilliard