Re: New install

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Fundamental wrote:

> I sat down today to do what i have done many times before, setup a debian
> box.  I started the boot process, got to the "partition a hard disk"
> section and got the error that debian could not detect a hard disk.
>
> The machine has a scsi disk with an adaptec controller.

Yes, I had that same problem. You probably bought the machine with some form
of windows on it. Hit ctrl-a during bootup when the adaptec message comes up
and turn SCAM off. Then turn off the "DOS > 1m" option, give your hard disk
a low-level format, power down your system and manually set the scsi id and
termination jumpers on all your scsi equipment. Make sure that the booting
harddisk is scsi id 0 and all your equipment comes after it in numeric order
(except the adaptec itself, which is always id 7). and make sure that the
last device in your scsi chain has the termination jumper set. Then power
back up and it should work fine.

Michael Stutz                                  | DESIGN  SCIENCE  LABS
http://dsl.org/m                               | Hypermedia, Internet,
Linux/GNU bumper stickers,indie rock,rants     | Linux: http://dsl.org