Problems with isdn4linux and network connections

Hi,

I connect to my provider using PPP over isdn4linux and a Teles card.
All works well except for one thing:

Sometimes I start Netscape (say) to read news.  I read news for a
while then decide it's enough.  Then I execute "isdnctrl hangup ippp0"
which hangs up the connection just fine.  Everything is cool so far.

However, if I suddenly decide to quit Netscape, the trouble starts.
The ISDN connection comes back up with not data to transfer :-(

I lokk at the process table, it contains no process that could
possibly want to transfer NNTP data, but still, netstat shows me a
"news" network connection that is (usually) in state FIN_WAIT_1.

I don't think Netscape is the problem: it happens with the Emacs Gnus
newsreader as well.

Note that the trouble starts only when I quit the program: I can
hang up the ISDN connection at any time then resume newsreading later
without any problem, as long as I leave the newsreader running.

What's the story?  tia,
kai
--
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte