Re: Is Linux much easier to install on 68k or PPC?

    Jim> Can anyone give me non-emotional advice on whether Linux
    Jim> would install "much easier" on an apple system than on an
    Jim> intel box?

    Jim> If my goal is to buy a used computer that has the best shot
    Jim> of getting Linux up in a hurry, what should i get? I realize
    Jim> this could be a loaded question, but I really need to know.

Since you asked for advice, here's mine:  Buy an intel box consisting
exclusively of inexpensive components.  You're almost certain not to
have any trouble.  For example: standard no-name PCI motherboard with
256K synchronous cache, Intel or AMD Pentium-type chip (midrange Hz is
the best bang for the buck), on-board dual port IDE controller,
standard IDE hard drive or two (in the 1-2 Gb range, again, best bang
for the buck), no-name S3 Trio 64 type video card with one or two Mb
of memory, any fairly good 15" digital monitor.  It's best, if you can
hack it psychologically, to buy individual components and put your box
together yourself.  If your number one priority is to get a box up and
running as soon as possible, this is the way to go.  Don't mess with
SCSI or any brand-name products whatsoever.  If you need a CD-ROM,
insist on an IDE/ATAPI-type, not one that connects to a special card,
Soundblaster, SCSI bus, etc.  You'll only get into trouble.  You'll
most likely get it to work eventually, but is it worth the hassle?

HTH and Good Luck.

--
Nathan L. Cutler
Linux Enthusiast