Problem with smail 3.2-3 and mutt 0.52 as configured

I'm running Debian Linux 1.2 with smail 3.2-3, and recently installed
the current Mutt mailer package (0.52) to test it out.  (Mutt is a mail
program similar to Elm but with many new features.)

Problem is, out of the box they don't deliver mail properly to
local users.  With Mutt, if I send email to "dsew", it is
translated to "dsew@localhost" before being sent.  That throws
smail into a loop error (maximum hop count exceeded) and the
mail bounces.

The smail loop error can be prevented by adding the line

   more_hostnames=localhost

to /etc/smail/config.

What I don't know because I'm not a mail guru is which program
is not behaving properly.  Should smail be configured by default
to resolve "user@localhost" correctly, or should Mutt not translate
"user" to "user@localhost"?

I'll send a bug report to the package maintainer once I know
which counts as the "bug".
--
David Sewell * dsew@packrat.aml.arizona.edu   | "If all things should become
Dep't of Geosciences, Univ. of Arizona        |  become smoke, then perception