Re: Sony cdu31a problem

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Matt Lawrence wrote:

> I'm trying to install Debian 1.2 off of the Dec. InfoMagic CDs.  After
> typing in "cdu31a=0x340" at the boot prompt, the kernel recognizes the CD
> drive, but there isn't an entry in /dev.  It's easy enough to create one,
> but I don't know the appropriate major and minor device numbers.  Any
> suggestions?  By the way, the drive is hooked to a Sony controller.
>
> -- Matt

Matt,

I think the /dev entry you want is /dev/sonycd  I have the same kind of
drive, and I didn't need to create the device.  Off the wall wild guess, I
think the major number was 15.  I can't be sure right now since my Debian
machine is down with a dead power supply, but that is my vague memory...
Since you probably only have one, the minor should be 0

Anyway check out http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO-4.html, it
has a section on the cdu31a.

Hope this helps.

- Don

-----
Don Prezioso               Ashland University          Phone: (419) 289-5015
System Programmer/Analyst  401 College Avenue      E-mail: dprez@ashland.edu
Administrative Computing   Ashland, OH  44805  http://www.ashland.edu/~dprez