Sony cdu31a problem

I'm trying to install Debian 1.2 off of the Dec. InfoMagic CDs.  After
typing in "cdu31a=0x340" at the boot prompt, the kernel recognizes the CD
drive, but there isn't an entry in /dev.  It's easy enough to create one,
but I don't know the appropriate major and minor device numbers.  Any
suggestions?  By the way, the drive is hooked to a Sony controller.

-- Matt