Re: Sony cdu31a problem

At 05:08 PM 1/13/97 -0500, Don Prezioso wrote:

>I think the /dev entry you want is /dev/sonycd  I have the same kind of
>drive, and I didn't need to create the device.  Off the wall wild guess, I
>think the major number was 15.  I can't be sure right now since my Debian
>machine is down with a dead power supply, but that is my vague memory...
>Since you probably only have one, the minor should be 0
>
>Anyway check out http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO-4.html, it
>has a section on the cdu31a.

It really was a major number of 15.  Thanks for the help.  So far, only the
Slackware installation has actually been able to talk to the CD, Red Hat
and Debian failed.  Now I'll be able to finish installing Debian.

Minor rant:  It wasn't that long ago that the CDU31A was one of the few CDs
supported by Linux.  Now, it seems that it's considered "old technology"
and ignored.  Considering that I'm running on a 33MHz 386, I think that
older machines still have a lot of life left in them, particularly with Linux.

-- Matt