Re: Custom kernel and boot problems still...

There's a package called 'kernel-package' that has Debian Linux kernel package
build scripts in it. You can find kernel-package from section misc. Note that
there might be a newer version in unstable than stable.

I'm attaching a previous mail from debian-user about the same question.
Make-kpkg is one of the files in package kernel-package.

You wrote:
[cut]
>         How hard is it to compile a kernel on Debian?  I suppose I will have
> to find out :)  TIA for any options or ideas!
[cut]

// Heikki

To: <jon@elephants.org>
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: A few questions.
From: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>
Date: 08 Jan 1997 03:56:23 -0600

Hi,

	About question 2:
>>"Jon" ==   <jon@elephants.org> writes:

Jon> 2) I am use to directly building slackware kernals. Will
Jon> something like make config; make; make zImage; make zlilo; make
Jon> modules; make modules_install break any dependancy info? I
Jon> noticed make-kpkg; what options would be comparable to the makes
Jon> above?

	The procedure would work, but leave no record with dpkg about
 the kernel being used. I like being able to use dpkg to track kernel
 images/sources and easy install/de-install.

	The above sequence is equivalent to the excerpt from the
README file:

INSTALLATION NOTES:
 For the Brave and the impatient:
1% cd <kernel source tree>
2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure
3% make-kpkg -r=custom.1.0 kernel_image
4% dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
5% shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a means of
                   # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!
Detailed instructions