Re: Custom kernel and boot problems still...

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Kendrick Myatt wrote:

> Hmmm...
>         In my /etc/modules file I only have the following:
> #auto
> serial
> lp
> ne
>
>         However, each time I boot it is still going and polling for all the
> nic cards and CD-ROMs, which effectively hoses my LAN.  I tried modconf and
> according to it, nothing is loaded except the above.
>         How hard is it to compile a kernel on Debian?  I suppose I will have
> to find out :)  TIA for any options or ideas!

Compiling your own custom kernel the the way to go.  You need to have the
kernel source installed.  Then, you can use the following sequence of
commands as root:

	$ cd /usr/src/linux
	$ make config
	$ make dep ; make clean
	$ make zImage

The last step creates a compressed kernel image in a subdirectory of
/usr/src/linux (you'll see which one at the end of a successful
compile).  "make config" is a primitive interactive script.  "make
menuconfig" is a console/xterm menu-driven version, and "make xconfig" is
a tcl/tk version of "make menuconfig".  The advantage of the latter two
is that you can go back and change previous settings without starting
over.

A great source of simple info about compiling kernels on linux, and
configuring lilo to boot your kernel from the hard drive is the book
_Running_Linux_ by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman.  A earlier version by
Welsh, titled _Linux_Installation_and_Getting_Started_ should be freely
available on the web in ps format.  I've also heard a rumor that someone
is working on a new commercial version of this book which will include
Debian-specific information.

Luck.  Syrus.