Re: FTP install and PPP/SLIP

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Troy M. Lubbers wrote:

> Alright, I've seen this question several times. Once before I was the one
> asking it. But I have yet to get an answer to it. I THINK that I want to
> install Debian. Partially because the option of installing off of an FTP
> server sounds very enticing, but I have a SLIP/PPP connection. Now does the
> base system disk set come with a way to do this? i.e. dip, pppd, etc, TIA
> Slirp whatever, or is there another package or set of packages you must
> download prior to attempting to install?

The base system comes with ppp, so with a little setup work you should be
able to connect to your ISP and use the ftp method of dselect to install
the rest of the packages you want. (dpkg-ftp is also provided on the base
for this purpose)
Make sure that there are no commas between the DNS items in the nameserver
list in /etc/resolv.conf so you can get to ftp.debian.org, or one of the
other mirrors.

Luck,

Dwarf