Re: Setting up IP mascarading.

Shaya Potter said:
> All my experience with linux networking has either been plain lans or
> just setting up PPP.  I am sure I need to role my own kernel with things
> like IP mascarading, but do I also need firewalling and ip-forwarding.

There is a IP-Masquerading mini-HOWTO on suniste.unc.edu, I believe. You need
to compile a kernel with "CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y", "CONFIG_FIREWALL=y",
"CONFIG_IP_FORWARD=y", "CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y", and "CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y".
Then, setup the masquerading with:

  # default policy deny forwarding (to prevent any packets from "escaping"
  /sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny

  # allow forwarding on the local net (in case you have any PPP connections
  # via null-modem or modem)
  /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -S localnet/24 -D localnet/24

  # masquerade anything from the localnet
  /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a masquerade -S localnet/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

  # to allow ftp to work (there are also irc and realaudio modules)
  /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp

  # add this if you have any microslop boxes (there is a bug in them which
  # will bring your ISP connection up every 7-10minutes if you don't add this)
  /sbin/ipfwadm -I -a deny -S localnet/24 netbios-ns -D <this_host> domain -P udp

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 3 days. If you don't   ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail. ]
[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"Learning from one's own experience is even more impractical if the injury is
   a very serious one. In the extreme case of a fatal accident, of course, the
   learning experience might be profound, but the learning curve is abruptly
   truncated."
   - Victor Goldberg (1974)