Re: A proposal to improve dselect

Ian Jackson is listed as the maintainer of the dpkg package which
contains dselect.  I just sent him a short note letting him know that
there is a group of users who wish to help improve dselect, and asking
for his guidance.  If he is very busy, he may prefer not to be a
member of the dselect project mailing list, but instead keep in
contact with a single representative of the group.

I noticed from the Debian web page that he tops the list of
maintainers with 141 outstanding bugs.  I am certain that this is due
to his central role in the project and not due to any lack of effort.
Last year I read one of the mailing lists which he quite was active
on, and for several months I thought that he was the Ian in Debian.  I
still consider him "the other Ian in Debian."  It looks to me like he
could use some help.

I suggest that we await his response and guidance.

While checking out the Debian web page, I notice that there is a
debian-dpkg mailing list mentioned, but no archived messages are
available for it.  Does anyone know the story behind that.

Kirk Hilliard