Re: 1.2.0 installation problems

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>  I just moved to debian from another distribution (DLD). I got it from the
>  December 1996 Developers Ressource of InfoMagic (it's Debian 1.2.0, I think).
>  I really liked the way it installs (though it could work without floppies
>  like RedHat or my older distribution - maybe in a future version?)
>
>  Unfortunately I have some major problems:
>  1) Choosing some X based applications in 'dselect' says that X11R6 is needed
>     but seems not to be available (can't understand this; maybe a problem in
>     some configs)

that means xbase and a server, I think.
you can try dpkg --force-depends <package.file.deb>

>  2) startx doesn't work correctly (I did run configure in dselect and I
>     successfully created a configuration by xf86config). In fact the X
>     server seems to start but shuts down itself shortly after that. Here is
>     what it says:
>     PEX extension module not loaded
>     XIE extension module not loaded (don't know what this means and if these
>                                      are really errors)
>     waiting for X server to shut down
>
>     In .xsession-errors I read:
>     /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm95-2: can't load library `libXpm.so.4'
>
>     This leads to
>  3) Because of 2) I tried ldd fvwm95-2 and I get
>      libXpm.so.4 => not found
>      libXext.so.6 => not found
>      libX11.so.6 => not found
>      libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.4.13

I get this crap all the time.  I either link the files to something
in my path or link a newer library to a name of an older library
it is looking for.  works for me.

>     So I searched for these libraries and I found them in /usr/X11R6/lib
>     I tried ldconfig, but it didn't help. Why aren't these libraries used?
>
>  4) I wasn't able to boot the supplied kernel anymore after the installation.
>     It locked during some CD-ROM autoprobing. So I booted an older kernel
>     from my former distribution. Well, you will know that there are many
>     problems. Modules from the older and the supplied kernel didn't work
>     together (though both are from 2.0.27) and I couldn't access neither my
>     ATAPI CD-ROM nor my DOS partition.
>     Anyway, I wanted to compile a new kernel. I used the common procedure:
>      cd /usr/src/linux
>      make config
>      make dep
>      make clean
>      make zImage
add:
	make zdisk (make sure you put a disk in)
	make modules
	make modules_install
	cp /usr/src/linux*/arch/i-386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz
	lilo

That should kick it in.  I never was able to get 1.1 to boot, until
I compiled the kernel.  Custom configured kernels work better
anyways, :)

Also, if you do any modules, the wrong setting might be in your
etc/modules file, and you should go in and comment out the crap
and uncomment auto.

This all worked for 1.1  I haven't got 1.2 yet, but I did get
the new base, libraries and X11, then I recompiled 2.0.27 source.

>     After some time of compiling it gives the following error and aborts:
>     fs/fs.o: In function `binfmt_setup`:
>     fs/fs.o(.text+0x9531): undefined reference to `init_elf_binfmt`
>
>  5) This one is less important, but I'm curious about the reason and how to
>     handle it: 'dselect' says that there is a conflict between ctags for
>     emacs and ctags for vim.
>
> Well, this are problems I was facing during the installation. There is another
> one in installing xemacs, but I couldn't dig deeper into it yet.

compile xemacs from the source.  That's what I did.  easy and fun too!!!