Re: A proposal to improve dselect

> On Tue, 7 Jan 1997 sfuqua@fuquasc.wab.wku.edu wrote:
> Dear Developers,
> > guess.  Since we seem to be picking on dselect's user interface again,
> > I wish it had more "emacs-like" key bindings, but it's a marvelous
> > tool as it is, IMHO.
>
> PLEASE, please, please do not confront people with 'emacs-like'
> keybindings. This would scare away newbies without impressing
> experienced people too much. The more experienced people
> quite often use plain dpkg and are happy with these cli-tools.

I don't use emacs, but to me dselect seems to be already too
emacs-oriented. For example, searching for a package is done with /,
but how do you repeat the search? I haven't studied the help
in much detail, but for me the answer is "I don't know" presently.
Pressing / and entering the same search just takes you back
to the first result again. This is counter-intuitive for users
of vi, less etc. Lynx uses "n" to repeat a search but dselect
doesn't use that either.

We should certainly not force a particular editor down anyone's
throat, especially emacs :-)

hamish
(vi fan)