Re: how to unmount before turn-off

Syrus Nemat-Nasser writes:

> On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Terrence M. Brannon wrote:
>
> > Everytime I restart Deb 1.2, it says /dev/hda3 not unmounted cleanly,
> > check forced. I exited. then turned off my laptop. What should I have
> > done first?
>
> What you could do is use the command 'shutdown -h now' to stop all
> processes and cleanly unmount your filesystems.  When is says "system
> halted", then turn the power off.
>
> Syrus.
>
> P.S. I don't use laptops.  Someone else may have more to add here.

On a laptop (single user), I'd take it one step further; edit the /etc/passwd
file. Copy the "root" entry and modify it. I renamed my second "root" entry to
"shutdown". I then changed the program from "/bin/bash" to
"/sbin/shutdown -r now". Optionally, you can delete the password field
contents. Now when I need to shutdown my machine (like during a lightning
storm), I go to an unused virtual console and login as "shutdown".

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.2 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK