Re: PPP connect using pon / poff / plog scripts

    Andrew> Help, I can connect to my ISP using pon as root: when I
    Andrew> attempted to use this as user amacater, I got "cannot read
    Andrew> /etc/ppp.chatscript" errors: chmod 755 cured this for
    Andrew> /etc/ppp.chatscript and /etc/ppp.options_out but I now
    Andrew> get: "cannot execute /usr/sbin/pppd - permission denied".
    Andrew> I know that pppd is suid, owned by root with group of dip
    Andrew> - what do I need to do next.  I am *very* unclear on suid
    Andrew> so would appreciate any help here - apologies for a
    Andrew> possible FAQ.

I remember having the exact same behavior on my system.  Here is an
'ls -l' listing for pppd:

-rwsr-x--x   1 root     dip         75944 Dec  8 01:54 /usr/sbin/pppd*

Note that the group 'dip' has read and execute permissions, and other
only have execute permission.  I'm not exactly sure why (I'm not too
clear on SUID root myself), but I was able to solve the problem by
adding myself to the the group 'dip' in /etc/group.

Perhaps doing a 'chmod o+r /usr/sbin/pppd' as root would do the trick
as well?  (Haven't tried this, though.)

--
Nathan L. Cutler
Linux Enthusiast