Re: ping reply without OS (was: Re: Unidentified subject!)

Most network cards are designed to releave as much load from the local
processor as possible. Thus, by only knowing the local ip address. The
card can forward packets down line, respond to pings, and do other
housekeeping chores without bothering the local machine. So, as long as
the card is not reset, it will continue to perform these tasks even when
the OS has fully gone bye-bye.

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:

> Hi,

> > > Uhhmmm... hadn't heard of this ever before. To reply to a ping request
> > > the network card has to have an assigned IP address...
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Eloy A. Paris
> > > Information Technology Department
> > > Rockwell Automation de Venezuela
> > > Telephone: +58-2-9432311 Fax: +58-2-9430323
> >
> > Yes, but I've seen it quite often. The symptoms are you can't connect with
> > anything, rlogin, telnet or such programs; however the machine gladly replies
> > to ping.
> >

> 	I experienced such situation when my nameserver was down for a
> warm reboot, so that I couldn't telnet to it, but ping got response from
> the machine during the reboot. I can't explain such situation, but it is
> quite strange to me.
>
> []s, mario
>
>    Mario O.de Menezes -      oo-O-oo    - mailto:mario@net.ipen.br
>  | Nuclear and Energetic Research Institute - IPEN-CNEN/SP         |
>  | BRAZIL -  fone (+55) 011-816.9175   fax (+55) 011-8l6.9188      |
>  |  http://tucano.ipen.br  -  http://www.ipen.br/~mario/mario.html |
>

> --

Dwarf