xdm using > 8bpp: how?

I remember reading here not long ago about how to setup multiple xdm
sessions with different color depths. But in a fit of tidyness I erased
the message and can't find the answer in any of the manpages or
informational docs that came with X.

I would like to start up my single session with something other than 256
colors.

Can anyone help?

--
The AtticKeeper: David Morris  mailto:bweaver@worf.netins.net