Re: Rex install report

Dear all,

Thanks for all who responded.

Bruce> From: Chow Chi-Ming <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk>
>> When I am offered to install additional drivers (modules), how may
>> I find out what options does a module take and its syntaxes?  This
>> information would make the loading of modules A LOT easier.  In
>> particular does anyone know how to specify base address and irq of
>> the 3c509

Bruce> I think all 3c509s come up at the _same_ base address and the
Bruce> driver then moves them elsewhere. This is their years-old
Bruce> prototype for plug-and-play.  I think the base address is
Bruce> 0x300, but I think you don't have to specify it.

IMHO, providing options info is important during the install.  How am
I supposed to read the kernel source without loading up my ethernet
module and fire up dpkg-ftp?  It is not just about ethernet modules.
It's slightly surprising that there doesn't seem to be a document
listing all the module options and syntaxes, considering that modules
are used by many nowadays.

>> I get the following at start-up
>> Configuring serial ports..../dev/cua0: No such device

Bruce> Add "serial" or "auto" to /etc/modules. I think we'd better
Bruce> take care of this in the "modules" package.

Yep, that fixed it.  Thanks.  Isn't it better to compile serial in the
default kernel?

>> After I installed xlib6_3.2-1 by dpkg, texbin didn't configure.
>> mf: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

Bruce> I think texbin needs a dependency on xlib6. I just filed a bug
Bruce> report.  Try installing it again now that xlib is installed.

No, texbin doesn't configure.

root@sedpc45:~ # dpkg -l libc5 tex\* xlib6 ldso | grep -v none
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  libc5           5.4.13-1       The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libr
iF  texbin          3.1415-5       TeX - The typesetting system
ii  texinfo         3.7-1          The GNU Project's documentation formatting s
ii  texlib          1.0-5          Auxiliary Files to run TeX
ii  texpsfnt        1.0-1          Virtual fonts and TFM's to use Postscript fo
ii  textutils       1.19-1         The GNU text file processsing utilities.
ii  xlib6           3.2-1          Shared libraries required by X clients
ii  ldso            1.8.5-1        The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilit
root@sedpc45:~ # dpkg --configure texbin
Setting up texbin (3.1415-5) ...
kpathsea: Running MakeTeXTFM cmr9.tfm
Running MakeTeXPK cmr9.tfm
mf \mode:=nullmode; mag:=1; scrollmode; input cmr9 \</dev/null
mf: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'
root@sedpc45:~ # ldd `which mf`
        libXt.so.6 => not found
        libSM.so.6 => not found
        libICE.so.6 => not found
        libX11.so.6 => not found
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.4.13
root@sedpc45:~ # ldd `which emacs`
        libXaw.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
        libncurses.so.3.0 => /lib/libncurses.so.3.0
        libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5.0.6
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.4.13

Anyone has any ideas?  Emacs (and other binaries) finds the X
libraries but not mf.  I have purged and re-installed texbin and mfbin
but to no avail.  texbin and mfbin doesn't seem to have changed since
buzz.  I am stuck!

Regards,

--
Billy C.-M. Chow