Re: How do I upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2?

"Eloy A. Paris" writes:
-> 1) When 1.2 is released, will it be named 1.2 or 1.3? I thought
-> odd revision numbers were for stable releases and even ones for development
-> releases (I guess this was a side effect after a wrong version of Debian
-> was put on CD, I think originally it was the opposite was: odd for
-> development and even for stable)

This is the KERNEL numbering system, not the Debian dumbering
system. For the record, x.y.z where y is even is a stable kernel. y
odd means a development kernel. For debian, every numbered release
(with the exception of 1.0) is a stable release. The development
releases (which are in general relatively stable, although things
break from tinme to time) are only given code names.

-> 2) Can I upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 (or whatever it's called when it's
-> released ) without changing my current system configuration or
-> breaking any packages or something?

Certainly. Just start up dselect, choose the ftp method and point it
at an appropriate Debian mirror. Update the packages list, Then go to
the select screen.  New packages will show up at the top, and you'll
want to pick through and mark whatever new packages you want. After
that, it will list upgraded packages (where the version that's
available is newer than yours). Then, just exit the selection screen,
hit install and let it do it's thing.  You may need to download the
packages in several rounds, since it'll probably be a hefty
download. :)

HTH

-Larry