Re: A few problems

Hi Miro --

(I'm not sure of these answers, but see if any of them help.)

You asked:
> 1. After I recompiled the kernel, NAS loads fine at boot,
> but auplay et all tell me that they can't connect to audio server.
> Can anybody help??

I think that the error here may be that the kernel provided with 2.0.6 uses
a non-standard IRQ (namely, 7) for sound boards.  If you recompile a kernel,
and use IRQ=5 for your sound board (which is what most of them really use),
then you might get NAS to work.  Alternatively, some people have reported
that they get sound to work if they use kernel 2.0.0, but I don't know
exactly what that works for them.

> 2. I can't get diald to work. Pppd works fine, but diald disconnects
> from my ISP as soon as I get connected. I have a feeling that
> this has to do with the diald options file, and possibly the pppd
> options file. Any tips?

Mark Warburton solved his problems by "turning off all the
modem-related options in the ppp config file".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Joonwoo Nam reported that adding 'connect-timeout' as an option
solved his problem.  He gave this /usr/sbin/ppp-up script:
  /usr/sbin/ppp-up
  ----------------
  #!/bin/sh

  /bin/setserial /dev/cua1 spd_hi
  /usr/sbin/diald /dev/cua1 -m ppp local 127.0.0.3 \
  remote 127.0.0.2 \
  defaultroute modem crtscts dynamic connect-timeout 180 \
  connect '/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/chat-ppp' \
  fifo /var/adm/diald.ctl

  Adding the following entry at the end of /etc/diald.conf
  also helped me out making the line keep up contiguously:

  restrict * * * * *
  up

> 3. Lacking knowledge of the XPM format, I need to know how to
> make transparent pixmap backgrounds (for icons). I can't get xpaint
> or pixmap to do this. Anyone know how??

(Perhaps klutsy, but practical answer:)
Convert the xpm file to a .gif (perhaps using xv from the non-free
  distribution).
Then use giftrans to make the gif file transparent.

HTH,
Susan Kleinmann