A few problems

I've been having a few problems lately:

1. After I recompiled the kernel, NAS loads fine at boot,
but auplay et all tell me that they can't connect to audio server.
Can anybody help??

2. I can't get diald to work. Pppd works fine, but diald disconnects
from my ISP as soon as I get connected. I have a feeling that
this has to do with the diald options file, and possibly the pppd
options file. Any tips?

3. Lacking knowledge of the XPM format, I need to know how to
make transparent pixmap backgrounds (for icons). I can't get xpaint
or pixmap to do this. Anyone know how??

Thanx for your time...:-)