Re: installation notes

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
>    The Packages files not always up to date.  This causes the dselect
> tool to think version X of a particular package is available from the
> ftp server, when in reality the package available is X+epsilon.  This
> causes dselect to try to retrieve a non-existing file, and it fails.
>    This in turn causes some dependencies to fail.

The scripts that update Packages run every day at about noon, PDT.  I
typically install packages in the evenings, so you're right that the
files are not always up-to-date.

I'll think about running the scripts by hand after I install.

> Here is the installation error.  I guess this should
> be directed to the maintainer of the sudo package?

You should file a bug against sudo.  Read /debian/doc/bug-reporting.txt
on any mirror for instructions.

>    kerneld should be started before ANYTHING else happens, with the
> possible exception of a root filesystem check.  The reason for this
> is that it may be needed to load binary-format modules, or
> md-personalities, etc.  I had my system lock up during boot because
> i have swap on a raid0 md device, and i compiled raid0 as a module.

But swap should be turned on before doing any memory-hungry things,
like fsck for example.  kerneld is already started pretty early.  You
can rename the S files in /etc/rc2.d (changing their numbers) if you
want to change the order.

My advice is not to compile raid0 as a module.  It'll never be removed,
you realize, so there's really no benefit to compiling it as a module.

Guy