Re: Color-ls package

  Syrus Nemat-Nasser writes:
  Syrus>  Thanks everyone for your prompt replies.  I will add the DIR_COLORS
  Syrus> file to my package this evening.  As it now stands, the package will
  Syrus> require the user to install the 'eval dircolors' command in the
  Syrus> appropriate place in there .login or .profile or whatever (I use
  Syrus> tcsh).

I recommend that you look at the xterm-color package. It uses a mechanism now
offered by dpkg to replace the xterm from xbase in a smart way. IMHO you
should do the same with /bin/ls, /usr/man/man1/ls.1 and simply add
/usr/bin/dircolors, /usr/man/man1/dircolors as they are.

  Syrus> Where can I place a color-ls.README file to assist a user in setting
  Syrus> up the package?

How about /usr/doc/color-ls? Are you aware of the Debian package guidelines?
Available on your debian mirror in /debian/doc/package-developer, in the
doc-debian package and shipped with versions of dpkg.

  Syrus> Incidentally, my package consists of the fileutils-3.12 with the
  Syrus> appropriate color-ls patch.  I've modified the debian.rules and
  Syrus> other control files to install the correct files and, of course, log
  Syrus> them with dpkg.  It will replace the debian package fileutils-3.12-2
  Syrus> with my package called fileutils-3.12-2c (if this is an appropriate
  Syrus> name).

Well, now that it is not what you told us earlier. You first spoke about a
color-ls package --- which, at least in my understanding, would involve two
small binaries, two manpages and maybe some doc in a README and a sample
DIR_COLORS.

Nuking fileutils seems like a Bad Idea(TM) to me. What we could do is to
include the color-ls patch directly into the geniune fileutils package. Those
who hate color-ls simple don't use
	eval 'dircolors'
in their /etc/profile or .profile, those who like it do. Choice to the user.

Did you talk to the fileutils mainrainer at all?

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd