linux source-1.2.13-x.deb build => what?

  I just installed the Debian-0.93 source-1.2.13-7.deb package and I
now have a `debian.rules' file in directory /usr/src/linux.

  This suddenly strikes me as unusual because normally the only time I
see a `debian.rules' file is when I have unpacked the Debianized
sources for a package that I want to build.

  Am I supposed to do `./debian.rules build' followed by a
`.debian.rules binary' in /usr/src/linux after I install source.deb?

  Will I end up with the corresponding base/image.deb?

  If so, should I then apply `dpkg --install' to it?

  I really don't see the intention here.

  Bill