x startup error continued

Continuing with my previous question ...

I can compile a kernel successfully, so I think my gcc and cpp are ok.
I did find out along the way that neither xlib6 or xlib6-dev install
/usr/X11R6/lib into ldso.conf, b.[2~s[2~o.conf, but I fixed that ... however, it didn't
solve this problem. I can reproduce the error I reported simply by typing
xrdb -merge /etc/X11/Xresources at a prompt, so I know at what point in the
startup process this error is occurring. However, I don't have a clue how
to fix it.