Help with installing Debian 1.2

Hi, I'm trying to install Debian 1.2 stable version for the fiest
time.  I downlowaded the six floppies from www.debian.org.
My computer's configuration:  P 90 MHz, 32 MB, PCI bus, two SCSI disks,
scsi controller is NCR53c810 (so the computer reports),
first disk 1 GB with MS DOS installed, second disk 2.5 GB where I
want to install Debian, one 1.44 MB floppy, no CD-ROM.  I have been
running Slackware linux for 2 years.

Here are the problems:

---When booting from the Rescue disk, if I just hit return at the
boot: prompt, it hangs at the
      $ld cm206.c v.99.  ... Exp$
line.  After some fiddling, I found that if I say "linux cm206=0" at the
boot: prompt, it reports "unable to find the device" (something to that
effect) at the "$ld cm206...." line, and goes on.  After that I was able to
install the base system and the device drivers.

---At the end of install, I was asked to make a boot floppy, so
I put in a new disk and made one.  After that I was asked to reboot
the computer with the boot floppy, so I did.  With this boot
floppy, I still had to enter "linux cm206=0" at the boot: prompt,
otherwise it would hang.  But after that and some messages later,
the computer reports "unable to initialize console" or something
like that and hangs.  And I don't know what to do!

Please help.  Many thanks.

PS.  I've seen two other people on this list with similar problems.  If
these two people got private answers, please forward them to me.  Thanks.

Xinbing