Re: Debian 1.2 international?

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Francesco Tapparo wrote:

> I have read in this Mailing List that some packages in Debian 1.2 (e.g.
> shellutils and fileutils) are internationalized.

Well, it may be that I was talking about bo (Debian 1.3)...
But yes, at least fileutils-3.13 is included in rex.

> I have installed the package wg15-locale, and I hav set LANG and LC_ALL
> to it_IT, but the error messages are in english, and ditto for the date.

I think you must set LANG=it and LC_ALL=it_IT.

> What is wrong?

But setting LANG will not work if the package has not been *localized*
(i.e. there is not a translation available yet).

This is the current status of the GNU i18n project:

(You can see the complete text by reading /usr/share/gettext/ABOUT-NLS,
after installing the Debian "gettext" package, or you may find this file
in any of the GNU mirrors). This is from the latest gettext I have:

[ ... ]

Available Packages
==================

   Languages are not equally supported in all GNU packages.  The
following matrix shows the current state of GNU internationalization,
as of October 1996.  The matrix shows, in regard of each package, for
which languages PO files have been submitted to translation
coordination.

                       cs de en es fi fr ja ko nl no pl pt sl sv
                     .-------------------------------------------.
     bash            |                []       []                |  2
     bison           |    []          []       []                |  3
     clisp           |    [] []       []                         |  3
     cpio            |    []          []       []    []          |  4
     diffutils       |          []    []             []       [] |  4
     enscript        |    []       [] []       []          []    |  5
     fileutils       |    []    []    []       []    [] [] [] [] |  8
     findutils       |    []          []    [] []    []       [] |  6
     flex            |                []                         |  1
     gcal            |    []          []       []                |  3
     gettext         |    []    []    []    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] | 11
     grep            |          []    []    [] [] [] []    [] [] |  8
     hello           |    []    []    []    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] | 10
     id-utils        |    []          []                         |  2
     indent          |                                           |  0
     libc            |    []    []    []    [] []    []          |  6
     m4              |    []          [] []    []             [] |  5
     make            |    []    []          [] []    []          |  5
     music           |                []                         |  1
     ptx             |    []          []       [] [] [] []    [] |  7
     recode          |    []    []    []       []    []    [] [] |  7
     sh-utils        |    []          []       []       []    [] |  5
     sharutils       |    []          []       []             [] |  4
     tar             |    []          []    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] |  9
     texinfo         |                                           |  0
     textutils       |    []    []    []    [] []    []          |  6
     wdiff           | [] []    []    []       [] [] []       [] |  8
                     `-------------------------------------------'
                       cs de en es fi fr ja ko nl no pl pt sl sv
                        1 20  1 10  1 24  1  8 20  7 14  6  7 13  133

   Some counters in the preceding matrix are higher than the number of
visible blocks let us expect.  This is because a few extra PO files are
used for implementing regional variants of languages, or language
dialects.

   For a PO file in the matrix above to be effective, the package to
which it applies should also have been internationalized and
distributed as such by its maintainer.  There might be an observable
lag between the mere existence a PO file and its wide availability in a
GNU distribution.

   If October 1996 seems to be old, you may fetch a more recent copy of
this `ABOUT-NLS' file on most GNU archive sites.

In this case it seems that the italian team has not finished any .po file
yet (?). Maybe they need more translators, if you feel like being a
volunteer, subscribe to it@li.org immediately :-)

@bye

[ Sorry for this long mail ]

Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>