dump problems

I'm encountering some major errors with my dump script.  hey look like
this:

 --> Fri 18:29 on Templinux : pwd is ~
tcsh# dump 0udf 325000 /dev/nrft0 /usr
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Fri Dec 27 18:29:24 1996
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/hda2 (/usr) to /dev/nrft0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 144596 tape blocks on 0.13 tape(s).
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
dump: ACLs in inode #16 won't be dumped: Invalid argument
  DUMP: read error from /dev/hda2: Bad address: [block 613]: count=628736
  DUMP: SIGSEGV: ABORTING!
  DUMP: SIGSEGV: ABORTING!
Segmentation fault
  DUMP: SIGSEGV: ABORTING!
  DUMP: SIGSEGV: ABORTING!
  DUMP: SIGSEGV: ABORTING!
  --> Fri 18:29 on Templinux : pwd is ~
tcsh#

I receive no extraneous errors on a fsck -f /dev/hda2.  I'm running the
dump from Debian 1.1 on an otherwise 1.2 system.  I had to restore the old
dump because I kept getting "master/slave protocol botched" errors which
no one on this list figured out.  And that's exactly why I dump /usr - so
that I can go back to the old version of something to get a working copy.

Thanks in advance for your help.  If you want to tell me to get a new
tape drive/backup program/whatever, please say so.  The tape drive is an
HP/Colorado T1000.  Normally this dump would run in a script, which I'd be
happy to mail to anyone who asks (or post if there's a lot of requests).

  --Pete