Re: Problems with Talk under Debian

On 26 Dec 1996, Guy Maor wrote:

> Gerry Jensen <gerry@blue.trans1.com> writes:
>
> > And lastly, Sun's talk seems to be incompatible with just about every
> > other OS's talk that I've tried, including Linux.
>
> Unless you use ytalk.  ytalk can communicate with both kinds of talk
> daemons.  Unfortunately there is no ytalkd, a talk daemon which could
> communicate with both kinds of clients.

Even using ytalk on Linux, I am unable to establish a talk connection with
the Suns at my school.

Gerry
gerry@trans1.com

Date:	Fri, 27 Dec 1996 17:08:42 -0600 (CST)
Sender: Roy C Bixler <rcb@press-gopher.uchicago.edu>
From:	Roy C Bixler <rcb@press-gopher.uchicago.edu>
To:	Nelson Posse Lago <listas2@that.com.br>
cc:	debian-user@lists.debian.org, Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>
Subject: Re: Poppasswd

On Wed, 25 Dec 1996, Nelson Posse Lago wrote:
> Hi,
> This is a very tricky problem. poppassd is a small app that calls passwd
> to change the password. Well, it passes some arguments to passwd and
> expects some responses from it. All very fine. Now, the newer debians use
> a passwd program that does a few checks on the password. If the
> new password is too similar to the old one, or if it is too short, or if
> it has too many repeated characters, etc. it will issue an error message
> and prompt you for a new (hopefully better) password. poppassd was not
> desinged to deal with this. It just waits for passwd to issue the prompt
> "re-enter new password" while password is saying "too simple: try again".
> Try entering a very random, 8 chars password to see if it works. To solve
> your problem, you must try to find a passwd program that doesn't do these
> checks (at the expense of security) or hack poppassd to be smarter. I
> don't know if debian has a simpler passwd program.

I checked to see if this is the problem by logging into the server
directly and changing my password to the same thing I attempted to change
it to with Eudora and 'poppasswd'.  That worked just fine the first time.

My configuration is Debian 1.2 stable (poppasswd_1.2-4) and Eudora Pro v.
3.0 flailing away on Windoze '95.  The connection just hangs after I
specify the new password for the second time.  The Eudora dialog box just
sits with a 'newpasswd' text. If I look on the server, there are idle
'poppasswd' and 'passwd rcb' processes running.  Also, as expected, typing
in my original password incorrectly will cause Eudora to abort the
operation.  It really appears as if 'poppasswd' itself is just hanging
after it receives the 'newpass' command - this is what I got if I 'telnet'
direct to port 106 and go through the protocol sequence.

Any ideas?

Roy
rcb@press-gopher.uchicago.edu