Re: Debian and Windows95

On Fri, 27 Dec 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Back up your Linux system just in case Windows 95 clobbers its partition.
> Make a boot floppy, and make sure the floppy works. Then you should be
> able to safely install Windows 95. The easiest way to restore LILO is
> probably to re-install the package.
>
> 	Bruce

Definitely back up the partition!  I did this on a Tecra that was
already Win95 + Debian (Debian was loaded after the fact).  My 95
became unstable as a reault of the plug and pray technology
"guessing" wrong about my hardware setup periodically (after the
system had been working fine!)  Reinstalling blew away the
partition info.  The Win95 fdisk program seems to be incompatable
with anything else (even NT).  My advice would be to do a custom
install and do not blow away the dos partition -- install over
it.  Even just reformatting the partition could be seriously
hazardous as the partition boundry may not be honored!

In my opinion, Win95 is clear proof that MS is interested in
writing software that sells and couldn't care less if it works.
The MBR will defintely be overwritten in standard MS form.
Bruce's suggestion sound like a good one.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan