dselect failed on perl ??!!

Frist of all, A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

I have some problems trying to update my Debian system using dselect.
It failed on perl, giving the following message :

------------
dpkg: cannot see how to satisfy pre-dependency:
 perl pre-depends on libdl1
dpkg: cannot satisfy pre-dependencies for perl (wanted due to perl)
------------

The above can also be reproduced by the following dpkg command :

------------
dpkg --predep-package --no-act
------------

You may say I've missed some vital packages out, something called
ldso, but I think I have it. Below is, I believe, bit of the
'available' in '/var/lib/dpkg'.

------------
Package: ldso
Essential: yes
Section: base
Maintainer: David Engel <david@ods.com>
Architecture: i386
Source: ld.so
Version: 1.8.5-1
Replaces: libc
Provides: libdl1
Filename: Debian-1.2/binary-i386/base/ldso_1.8.5-1.deb
      .
      .
      .
Package: perl
Section: devel
Maintainer: Darren Stalder <torin@daft.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 5.003.07-2
Replaces: io, perl-base
Provides: io
Pre-Depends: libc5 (>= 5.4.7-7), libdb1, libdl1, libgdbm1
------------

I must have missed something out? But what ?? I would be grateful if
someone can give me some hints.

By the way, dselect's scan option (for such time when one doesn't have
the various Packages.gz files) does not work ! I think the 'available'
file this option generates does not have the line

Filename: Debian-1.2/.......

in individual package's description block and subsequently causes
'dpkg --predep-packages' to fail. I am sorry, I can't remember the
exact error messages and I am not sitting in front of my Debian
machine. I think it failed inside a perl script in 'archives.c' or is
it 'enquiry.c' ??

Does this consitute a Bug??

Thanks a lot

H.C.Lai