XF86Config question

Hello, all,

  Please pardon me if this is not quite the correct forum for
this question, yet in following this list over the past week or
so, I've seen quite a few questions relating to XFree86, so I
can't be too far afield.
  Anyway, when running X, I'm troubled by "streaks" (don't know
how else to describe them) at higher resolutions, which I suspect
are related to the dot clocks I've chosen.  Namely, the higher
the clock, the more pronounced the streaking.  This streaking
only occurs when the mouse is near or traverses a window border.
Thus, if I move the mouse on a blank background (either on the
desktop or fully within a window, I do not see any streaking).
So, it probably has something to do with the whole window being
repainted.  I've read all the documentation I can find, including
VideoModes.doc several times, as well as the specs for both my
monitor and card.  These latter are:

Monitor:  Samsung SyncMaster 4Ne (15")
  Max HR:  1024
  Max VR:   768
  Max Video Bandwidth:  65MHz
  H Sync:  30-50kHz
  V Sync:  50-100Hz
  (There's also a "factory preset signal timing chart" in the
appendix that, if I knew how to read it, I think would give me
the sync pulses.  I tried asking tech support at Samsung today
for the info, but the guy who could answer was out.  Tomorrow,
then.)

Video Chipset:  Trident TGUI9680-1.  Programmable clocks.

As for my XF86Config:

Modeline "800x600"  50.00  800 856 976 1040  600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync

  works great.  No streaking.

Modeline "960x756"  60.00  960 984 1192 1232  756 762 770 810

  works okay, but some streaking, barely noticeable.  I'm still working
on centering the picture better.

But,
Modeline "1024x765"  65.00  1024 1032 1176 1344  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync

  has quite a bit of streaking when switching windows, very noticeable.
This and the "800x600" are the defaults given by XF86Setup.  The middle
modeline is my attempt to reduce the streaking given the information in
VideoModes.doc.

  Having little experience in this, I'm proceeding with considerable
caution, although I get the impression my major concern is keeping
the dot clock at or below 65MHz, the listed video bandwidth, and, of
course, trying to keep the refresh rate at a reasonable level above 45Hz.
Given these parameters, I'm trying to get the best resolution I can.

  I'd appreciate it if anyone who has had experience with the Trident
chipset could give me some pointers as to how to best utilize its
features in XFree86 3.2, or so pointers on how to get rid of the
streaks I've been getting.

TIA,

Marty Mayberry
University of Texas at Austin