Re: General clueless upgrade question (fwd)

Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Ed Down <E.M.Down@city.ac.uk>
> > I went to the rex directory - not the one in the Debian-1.2 directory,
> > so I assume I'm in the 1.1 tree - and downloaded a new Packages file and
> > the packages I require.
>
> "rex" and "Debian-1.2" are two different names for the same directory.
> We always use code-names during development, and "rex" was the code-name
> for 1.2 .
>
> Debian 1.1 is, I think, still available on debian.crosslink.net, but not
> for long. It's code-name is "buzz". You may want to reload the Packages
> file from there.
>
> > I ran dselect and it seems to not let me just install the new
> > packages - it wants me to upgrade loads of other packages which the new
> > ones are not dependent on.
>
> It will want to upgrade all of your currently-installed packages to the new
> versions.
>
> > I've tried to ask deselect to just leave the
> > old packages alone, but then it insists on wanting to delete all the
> > packages dependent upon these. For instance, I try to leave libc5 as the
> > old version, so it insists on wanting to delete cron!
>
> Pressing "-" doesn't mean leave it alone, it means delete the package.
> You can select "=" (hold in present state) for all of the packages you
> want to keep the same, but it would be better to load a Packages file
> for 1.1 than to do this for 800 packages.

> You don't need the installation floppies to upgrade. Just put a Debian 1.2
> CD in your system and let dselect perform the upgrade. You can also have
> dselect do it via FTP. You will need the latest version of the "dpkg" and
> "dpkg-ftp" packages installed first - install these by hand using "dpkg",
> and then "dselect" can handle the rest of the upgrade.

I had a problem with perl not being replaced by perl-base during my
upgrade.  Would this be due to me not upgrading dpkg-ftp and dselect
first?

--
Bernard Leach                    Australian Business Access Pty Ltd.
leachbj@aba.net.au               http://www.aba.net.au/