Re: General clueless upgrade question (fwd)

From: Ed Down <E.M.Down@city.ac.uk>
> I went to the rex directory - not the one in the Debian-1.2 directory,
> so I assume I'm in the 1.1 tree - and downloaded a new Packages file and
> the packages I require.

"rex" and "Debian-1.2" are two different names for the same directory.
We always use code-names during development, and "rex" was the code-name
for 1.2 .

Debian 1.1 is, I think, still available on debian.crosslink.net, but not
for long. It's code-name is "buzz". You may want to reload the Packages
file from there.

> I ran dselect and it seems to not let me just install the new
> packages - it wants me to upgrade loads of other packages which the new
> ones are not dependent on.

It will want to upgrade all of your currently-installed packages to the new
versions.

> I've tried to ask deselect to just leave the
> old packages alone, but then it insists on wanting to delete all the
> packages dependent upon these. For instance, I try to leave libc5 as the
> old version, so it insists on wanting to delete cron!

Pressing "-" doesn't mean leave it alone, it means delete the package.
You can select "=" (hold in present state) for all of the packages you
want to keep the same, but it would be better to load a Packages file
for 1.1 than to do this for 800 packages.

> On a different track, I want to upgrade to 1.2 at some point. Is there a
> doc on this? If I use the new installation disks does it give me the
> option just to upgrade, without the disk format, or can I just upgrade the
> kernel and all the other packages I use to the latest vewrsions and that
> will be the same as a 1.2 system installed from scratch?

You don't need the installation floppies to upgrade. Just put a Debian 1.2
CD in your system and let dselect perform the upgrade. You can also have
dselect do it via FTP. You will need the latest version of the "dpkg" and
"dpkg-ftp" packages installed first - install these by hand using "dpkg",
and then "dselect" can handle the rest of the upgrade.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com